In December’s issue of The Goreletter, I posted the following list of story starters for “Scary Politics.” As the primary season is heating up to the boiling point of hellfire, I thought I’d copy it here to the blog, as a reminder that there’s no better place for reimagining the world — and for doing so in horrific ways — than in the real world of American politics.
If you didn’t see this before, it’s because you don’t subscribe to my newsletter. SUBSCRIBE (or fill out the form to update your email address) and you’ll get Instigation fresh off the grill. And if you want giant collection of over 500 things like this, don’t forget my ebook, Instigation: Creative Prompts on the Dark Side.
Discover the weirdest story you can by simply freewriting (without stopping to edit) in response to one the following prompts and seeing where it takes you.
- Murder by voting booth.
- Script an over-the-top smear campaign or ludicrously accusatory TV commercial.
- From the point of view of an assistant or intern, dramatize a politician’s appeal for help in covering up a heinous crime.
- Describe a deathmatch between an elephant and a donkey (or other political animal symbol) with as much gritty realism as possible. Give this battle a function.
- Write a “Bill of Rights” for the citizens of Hell. Or invent a “Bill of Wrongs.”
- Choose your favorite monster or imaginary creature. Now create a political party for others of its kind, or have it run for office on behalf of all monsters.
- Zombify an assassinated politician.
- Deliver a non-human character’s speech before the UN General Assembly.
Related reading for further inspiration:
+ Read “The H Word: The Politics of Horror” by Paul Tremblay (Nightmare Magazine)
+ See “If Horror Movie Villains Were Running for President” from Donte Neal at Mashable (Neal created the great Pennywise the Clown (from King’s IT) poster on this blog entry).
+ Speaking of Stephen King, now might be a really good time to re-read The Dead Zone!
+ Do a google or youtube search for “American Horror Story” + your favorite candidate’s name. 🙂
+ Of course, vote Cthulhu! Here’s his I Have a Dream speech.