You can't leave if he's not dead yet. Standing over him, you watch to see if he moves again. Sure enough, you do see some more movement. This time it's in his throat. What? That doesn't make any sense. You get closer to him, watching, as something seems to wiggle up his windpipe. Suddenly, from out of his mouth pops a bulging green worm-like thing, although it's unlike any worm you've ever seen. It pushes itself out of his mouth, and onto the floor. You poke it with the fire iron. Did that man have some kind of parasite? \n\n Well, you're about to find out in the most intimate way possible, for as you're looking at the creature it springs up at your face. The shock of it causes you to open your mouth, which is just what it was waiting for. As you feel it's razor sharp teeth burrow down your throat, you think you really should learn to keep your mouth shut.\n\n The End\n Parasite Death
You try to put all of that out of your mind as you come upon the genesis of the incident. It is where the post office used to be. However, there is nothing left of the building, merely a huge hole in the ground. Burning in this hole is a round stone object, cracked perfectly down the middle. At least it looks like stone. You can't get very close to it because the heat coming off of it is incredible. \n\n There are many other people lying around, in various states of injury. Very few people are staggering around, as if they were drunk. You can understand this. After something like this happens… you scrunch your face in confusion. What exactly happened to begin with? The burning object doesn't look like any bomb you've ever seen. Meteors weren't supposed to get that big, and they certainly wouldn't land anywhere in rural PA. \n\n Getting nowhere in your thoughts, you pull out your cellphone. You figure you should call your family, just to make sure they are all right. However, to your dismay all you hear is a beeping sound, and it disconnects. Your parents should be home, and you don't think the blast could have made it quite this far…\n\n You now notice that someone is staggering towards you. It's a young man who looks very out of sorts; his eyes are rolled into the back of his head. There are also strange scratches near his mouth. He reaches out towards you, though he is a few feet away. You could easily run away from him, but perhaps he needs help. Maybe he could even explain what's going on here. \n\n*[[Talk to Him]]\n*[[Run Away]]
You can't just ignore them. \n\n You ask Mildred what the skulls are. She begins to chuckle to herself a bit.\n\n “Ahh, we were doing so well too. You had to ruin the surprise for yourself. Such a shame.” As she says this, she pulls out a knife from behind her. You scream a bit, but that only makes her laugh more. “Oh dearie, you're so naïve. How do you think I've lived all this time? I've been alone for so many years, and you can only survive on rats for so long.” You try to back up, but you were already in the corner so there is nowhere to go. Mildred smashes the platter onto the ground and lunges at you. With dexterity you didn't know you had, you avoid her and she smashes into the wall. Enraged, she turns to you, hacking at the air as she does so. You shove her arm away from you, twisting it towards her face. Still in a rage she attempts to push her arm back at you, but instead slides it sideways. With this sideways motion, Mildred inadvertently cuts her own throat. All her weight falls onto you, and in shock you let her fall to the ground. Even in the dim light you can see that she is barely twitching, and you can feel her blood running down your clothing. \n\n A few days later you decide that Mildred wasn't all that bad. She actually had some pretty good ideas about how to live through this mess. And the jerky she kept in the kitchen was just wonderful. \n The End \n Cannibal Ending \n
Deeper inside you find that there are a few more people sitting around a table. It's an odd assortment, to say the least. Monty is all smiles now.\n\n “Everyone, we've got a new addition. Introduce yourself.” \n\n You politely introduce yourself, but no one seems to pay much attention. Monty shrugs and clears his throat. \n\n “So now I think we've got enough people to complete the plan. It's relatively simple really. These parasite beings have their own frequency. It is what has been messing with your cellphones and televisions and such. The simple way to combat this is to send out a huge wave of an opposing frequency. Laws of physics such as they are dictates that that these two frequencies should just cancel out, thus destroying the parasites while they are still in the bodies.” \n\n You don't know too much about what he saying, but it does sound plausible. Monty goes on to explain that they can use the built in radio tower in the facility, but they also need to go to certain places around town to set up more transmitters. There would be a team to stay and hit the switch when it is time, and a team to go place the various transmitters. Monty looks over at you. \n\n “Oh yes, I forgot to ask, what kind of weapon did you have?”\n\n*[[You have a fire iron]]\n*[[You have a gun]]\n
Wait! Do you have the Fire Iron or nothing in your hand?\n\n*[[Fire Iron]]\n*[[Nothing]]
There's no way you could leave, after what just happened! You resolve yourself to stay and fight this man, no matter the size difference. You know it won't be much of a fight without a weapon of course, and you back off from the man. You notice now, as he turns to face you, that there are strange scratches near his mouth, and sores running down his neck. \n\nYou don't have much time to think about this of course, because he's swinging at you. His arms are so long he just barely misses you. You tumble over the back of the couch, landing on your head. He runs to grab your feet but you move them out of his reach. Crawling upright, you face the fireplace, with the man at your back. He pushes the entire couch out of the way, making a beeline for you. There's not much you can do now. The fireplace is in the corner… You think that you've had a good life, and that you wish you wouldn't have been done in by this mysterious brute. Just as you're saying your last goodbyes to yourself, you hand touches something hard and metallic. Before you have time to think, you strike out with this, hitting the man in the head. It sticks there with a cracking sound, and a bit of gurgling as he falls at first to his knees, then onto his face. \n\nShaking, with tears running down your face, you at what is sticking out of the man's head. It is a fire iron. You realize the incredible amount of luck you had with that hit. A little later and you would have been dead as well. You decide the best thing to do is to take the fire iron out of the man's head. It just doesn't look right in your living room. As you do so, the man flips over with the force of your pull. You see the sores in greater detail now. They seem to go all the way down into his shirt, and they ooze a clear, slimy looking liquid. It disgusts you, and you wonder what in the world is wrong with him. You also notice, a second before you looked away, that the man's chest seemed to move. The head wound looks pretty deadly to you, but… could he be alive?\n\n*[[Stay and Check it Out]]\n*[[Leave the House]]
It is like any other day. You had gone to the store, at your mother's prodding, for some milk and eggs. It is a painfully normal day, even. You have no plans for the evening, just to stay at home and hang out with the family. As you are leaving the store, you notice a severe brightness to your right take hold in the sky. It can't be just the sun; it's so bright that you are forced to look away. \n\n As the light seems to get closer, the ground begins to rumble. A horrible rushing noise assaults your ears. It is a low and yet at the same time high pitched. It is unlike anything you have ever heard before. In the midst of all this stimuli, you lose your balance and fall to your knees. The groceries you just bought fall as well, breaking on the ground. Suddenly the earth shakes as if from an impact. You feel a tremor pulse through your body, leaving you unable to move for a few moments. The blast is so ferocious that some of the buildings around you crack, pieces of them falling to the ground.\n\nEveryone around you is having similar problems, and the road in front of you becomes cluttered with a mishmash of wreckage. Finally, you look back towards source of this all. The light from before is gone, replaced with the red glow of fire. Off in the distance you can see this raging inferno, seemingly circular in scope. You have no idea what it could be. \n\n*[[Go Investigate]]\n*[[Go Home]]
You continue walking, feeling a bit safer now that you have a gun. Even if you've never shot one before, you at least look a bit scarier. Maybe people would leave you alone if they saw it. \n\n The farther you go, the bigger the houses become. Soon you come to a house that everyone in the neighborhood knew: old Mrs. VonSchwartsworth's mansion. It wasn't actually a mansion; it was just so old and looming that it seemed to take upon that title for itself. Every one also knew that she had the meanest dog in existence, Moto the Rottweiler. Usually it was on the front porch, barking at everything that went past with Mrs. VonSchwartsworth sitting there, smiling her enigmatic smile. You always thought she got a kick out of the jumps her dog would give people. \n\n Today was different in that neither the woman nor the dog was in sight. In any case, you know that there's a shortcut through her backyard to Cameron's. You had used it many times, to Mrs. VonSchwartsworth ire. However, in the dimming light you are reluctant to pass behind the huge house with its intimidating shadows. If you keep going on the main road, you might meet more of those crazy people though… \n\n*[[Take shortcut with gun]]\n*[[Don't take shortcut with gun]]
As you go around the side of the house, you hear a low growl. You keep going, and you find yourself in the older woman's backyard. Near the back is a large doghouse with the name “Moto” in all capitals. The dog himself was there, feasting angrily on something. As you turned the bend however, the dog noticed your presence and turned to you. Red chunks fall from his mouth as he barks madly at you. You look over to what he had been eating and make an audible gasp. She laid there, face gone, bitten away by the very dog she loved to torment others with. You feel bile rise to your throat at the thought of it, but you don't have time to throw anything up, because the dog is coming for you.\n\n It rushes towards you, sending you into a panic. And because you've never shot a gun before, you don't have the best aim. All of this combined with the fact that the gun only had three bullets in it means you're going to be the main course.\n The End\n Dog Death\n
You jump in, landing on something soft and dusty. It seems to be a comforter, but you can't see in the dim light. There is only one lantern lit in the small space, but you can see that it branches out into darker passages. The walls seem to be made of a dusty metal, and of course there are no windows.\nMildred is standing over you, still grinning. The light hitting her face elongates her features; her nose becomes a peak, her chin becomes pointed and the lines on her face become deep ravines. She's everything you ever thought of in a witch, and she smelled bad too. \n\n “You just stay right here. I'll fix you something to eat. We're gonna be here a long time. So happy I found you though.” The last line seemed unnecessary, and it doesn't sit well with you. She's talking about you like you're a puppy. Before you have a chance to say anything, she scuttles off into the darkness. You wonder how she can see anything. As you stand, you can hear the people pounding on the door above. A small line of dirt filters downward in the light, and you wonder how you ever got into this situation. You fight tears, wishing you could be with someone you knew.\n \nMoving to wipe your face on your sleeve, you notice something gleaming in the corner. Curiosity killed the cat so they say, and you move to look at what it is before you think. To your great surprise it is a pile of bones. Skulls, actually. They are spotless, smiling broadly at you. You can't be sure, but you think they look like the skull you saw in anatomy class once. This does not bode well. You turn around just as Mildred comes back into the room, holding a sandwich platter covered in strange looking meat. She opens her eyes a bit wider when she sees what you're looking at. \n\nShould you ask her about these skulls?\n\n*[[Ask Her]]\n*[[Do not ask Her]]
There's no way you can leave your friend for some weird news broadcast on the radio. She smiles brightly. “I knew you wouldn't leave. My dad should be back soon.” Sure enough, a half an hour later her father comes in through the back door, a bloody knife in his hands. He seems surprised to see you, but happily so. \n“I'm glad you could make it. Cameron needs you at a time like this. Where are your parents?” You look down, sadly shaking your head back and forth. You can't say…\n\nHe doesn't ask you anymore and walks past you quickly to gather some things from the kitchen. His gruffness is actually helpful, for it makes you unable to wallow in sadness. He directs Cameron to get some things from her room, all the while shoving pantry items into a bad. You stand still in the kitchen, not sure what to do.\n\nAfter a while Cameron comes back into the kitchen, a giant bag of clothes and other toiletries in hand. Her father looks at you both sternly. “We're going to fly away girls. Fly until all this blows over.” You look at him incredulously. You knew he was in the military, but you never knew he could fly. Or that they apparently had a plane on hand. Cameron looked uncomfortable, but held your hand for support. You smiled at her, trying to make her feel better. You hope this plan will work. \n\n*[[Get on the plane]]
You decide it's not worth it to stay; you're getting out of here. You look around for the nearest building that doesn't look decimated, and you see the local church. It looks in pretty good condition still. There might even be someone that could help you. You run over, leaving the person behind. \n\n Inside the church, there is no one to be found. Everyone probably ran away when the blast happened. A disturbing scene at the door greets you. A statue of the Virgin Mary stands solemnly to watch all those who enter. Her palm is stretched out, usually a welcoming gesture. In this instance, that hand is covered in blood and gore, looking as though someone had impaled themselves on her graceful hand. \n\nAs you walk away from the ghastly sight, you notice it is pretty dark inside. The only lights are the ones filtering in through the windows. The back is in complete darkness. You go up to the pulpit, trying to see if there is anyone in the back, when you hear something echo in the dim light. It sounds like footsteps, but you weren't sure. And perhaps you heard a soft gurgle. You move back a bit, and hide behind a pew. The footsteps seem to get closer. Should you stay and investigate, or just head on home now?\n\n*[[Stay]]\n*[[Go Home]]\n
There's nothing you can do against him. He's just too big. Before he can grab you, you back away from him, and head out the front door. You can't glance backwards; if you did the agony of what just happened would stop you in your tracks.\n \n You run until you can't breathe anymore. You get as far away from the house as you can before you must force yourself to stop and take a breath. Off in the distance you hear a loud alarm going off, one that seems no one will answer. All around there are people milling about, but they do not look normal. Most of them have a weapon of some sort and their eyes never fix on one place for too long. However, because you had been running, you didn't notice their tendency to fixate on you. Now you do, and after only a moments rest you force yourself to move again. These people could be the murderers Cameron was talking about.\n\n*[[Keep Running]]\n
You have to go check it out. You couldn't just leave not knowing what the hell happened. It doesn't even look that far away, maybe a few streets down.\nShakily, you get up from your knees. The people around you are still shell-shocked, also unaware of what just transpired. When you get your bearings about you again and dust yourself off, you set out for the cause of all this trouble.\nThe closer you get to whatever happened, the more injured people you see. Some were knocked out by the blast of force, and it seems others were crushed under various debris. You don't stop to inspect very thoroughly. There's not much you can do to help those people. In fact, you'd probably get in the way. \nHowever, as you're walking, you can't help but notice the amount of blood on the ground, and the amount of blood splashed onto the sides of buildings. You even come across a person crushed underneath a solid section of a brick building. It was almost as if they were cut in half, the damage to their body was so thorough. Blood seeps out of their eyes, which will see no more. Against their pale skin, the blood looks even more vibrant; the dark red-brown streaks stain their cheeks. The more you try to not notice the carnage around you, the more you keep glancing at it. You start to get queasy. You also thank your lucky stars that you were not so close to the blast as these people.\n\n*[[Walk Away]]
You show him your fire iron. He nods, saying that you should probably stay with him at the facility. Short-range weapons would be the most dangerous for this job. He then selects some of the other people in the room to stay as well, and sends the rest out the door. They wonder if they have enough guns; they're short one. Monty is confident in them, though.\n\n It is a tense few hours as you wait for word from the other team. In the meantime Monty kills some of the infected that come too close, and you watch the horizon. Before you realize it, the sun comes up. And you see a few of the people you sent out coming back. You shout for joy… until you see that they are staggering towards you. And they have scratches lining their mouths. Monty tries to tell you not to worry, but you know it's only a matter of time.\n\n The End\n Facility Death\n
You decide to stay, just to see if it's someone who can help you. Bad luck for you, it wasn't. You stumble in the darkness, right into the arms of a sore-ridden man with a baseball bat. You don't live to see the next day after he bashes your brains right out of your skull. At least you don't need to worry about finding help anymore. \n The End\n Normal Death\n
You decided you didn't want to risk it, especially in the failing daylight. Too bad for you, there were one too many people to fight off.\n The End\n Normal Death\n
You decide that it's better if you just don't know. You smile at Mildred, determined to make the best of this strange situation. She smiles back, her eyes still open a bit more than normal. She offers you something off of the platter. You are a bit hungry, so you take a small brown piece of meat. Or at least you think it's meat. It tastes a little bitter, but it's not so bad, you think. That is, until you vision begins to swim. You fall down, yet again, and the last thing you see is Mildred standing over, something sharp and gleaming held in her hand. \n\n You gave her the benefit of the doubt. At least your death is benefiting someone. \n The End\n Cannibal Death \n
You're glad that you didn't pick up the gun. You wouldn't have felt comfortable using it anyway.\n\nThe farther you go, the bigger the houses become. Soon you come to a house that everyone in the neighborhood knew: old Mrs. VonSchwartsworth's mansion. It wasn't actually a mansion; it was just so old and looming that it seemed to take upon that title for itself. Every one also knew that she had the meanest dog in existence, Moto the Rottweiler. Usually it was on the front porch, barking at everything that went past with Mrs. VonSchwartsworth sitting there, smiling her enigmatic smile. You always thought she got a kick out of the jumps her dog would give people. \n\nToday was different in that neither the woman nor the dog was in sight. In any case, you know that there's a shortcut through her backyard to Cameron's. You had used it many times, to Mrs. VonSchwartsworth ire. However, in the dimming light you are reluctant to pass behind the huge house with its intimidating shadows. If you keep going on the main road, you might meet more of those crazy people though…\n\n*[[Shortcut]]\n*[[Don't take shortcut]]
She may look like a hobo, but she did save your life. You think she at least deserves a thank you. You look her over once more. She has a hatchet in her hand, bloodied. You know that they were trying to attack you, maybe even kill you, but… did she have to go that far? Your morals are at war as she jumps away from the body. \n\n “Wow. I never get tired of that. Nope, never, never.” Her voice sounds dry and hacking, as if she's smoked one too many cigarettes in her lifetime. Or perhaps drank too much gin. In any case, her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. You grimace at her words, unsure of what meaning to take from them. Nevertheless, you squeak out a thank you. She grins again, her black teeth glistening with saliva. \n\n“No, not a problem my dear. Always willing to help out a fellow humanoid.” As she speaks, the young man's body began to twitch. You stare in horror as his throat bulges and ripples. The woman cackles madly, and swiftly swings the hatchet into it. Blood as well as an unknown greenish liquid spurt out, covering her legs with even more filth. She sees your horrified expression, and her grin disappears.\n \n“Yes, yes. Not too many people know,” She shakes her head widely back and forth, “Not too many people at all. I knew though. I knew a loooong time ago. I've got a set up you see.” As she says this, you watch her walk over to the fallen woman once again, slamming the blade into her twitching throat. “I've got a bunker, not too far from here. Nice place, nice view. We can ride out the invasion there. I'll even tell you what's happening 'round here.” \n\nYou just look at her with confusion and a bit of shock. What in the world is she talking about? Bunkers, invasions… it's a bit much for you to handle, adding this with the fact that random people just tried to kill you. Suddenly your phone goes off, scaring you half to death. Shaking, you reach into your pocket to answer as the hobo woman glares at you. Instead of your parents number, the one you expected to see, another name flashes on the screen. Cameron, your best friend for many years, is calling. With everything that was going on, you totally forgot to call her. You answer, now with a smile on your face, relieved that some semblance of normality still exists for you. When you answer, you can hear the relief in her voice as well.\n\n“Fin..ly I… go… old of yo...” Well, you can almost hear the relief in her voice. The connection is terrible and you can only hear bits and pieces of what she is trying to say. It is like there is some sort of interference between your cellphones. “My da… wan..s you to co… ov… He's go… a pla… or som…ing. Com… to m… hou…” After this, the connection dies completely. No matter how many times you dial the number, all you get is static. However, you think you know that she was trying to tell you to come to her house. That seems like a good idea, but you look over at the old woman. She's still flitting back and forth from staring at you and looking all around. It seems as though more and more people are getting closer. You could find out what's going on if you go with her… \n\n*[[Go With Her]]\n*[[Run Away]]
As you go around the side of the house, you hear a low growl. You keep going, and you find yourself in the older woman's backyard. Near the back is a large doghouse with the name “Moto” in all capitals. The dog himself was there, feasting angrily on something. As you turned the bend however, the dog noticed your presence and turned to you. Red chunks fall from his mouth as he barks madly at you. You look over to what he had been eating and make an audible gasp. She laid there, face gone, bitten away by the very dog she loved to torment others with. You feel bile rise to your throat at the thought of it, but you don't have time to throw anything up, because the dog is coming for you.\n\n Too bad you have nothing to fight with, because a dog is a bit too fast to outrun. Looks like you're puppy chow now.\n The End\n Dog Death\n
Internal Choices
You keep going, noting that the sky is slowly becoming darker. Being out at dusk would usually be no problem, but in light of everything that has happened you wanted to get inside somewhere, anywhere, as soon as possible. You're getting out of the highly populated residential area, and going towards where the richer folks live. You think of Cameron again, and with a heavy heart you pull out your cellphone. You don't want to have to relive what just happened with your parents, but you know she would be able to help. She also said she wanted you to come over. You dial her number, but you only get static. Cursing your luck, you continue down the road. The light is getting dimmer by the minute, so you decide to try to run to her house. \n\n Before you get very far you trip over something. Well, that's your own fault for not looking where you were going. Looking down, you see that you've tripped over a man. He appears to be dead, with a gunshot wound to the temple. His brains color the pavement. A gun lies next to him. As sick as it is, you think about picking this gun up. It would be better than what you've got now. But you also feel that it might be a bit drastic. Plus, you've never shot a gun in your life.\n\n*[[Pick Up Gun]]\n*[[Do Not Pick Up Gun]]\n
As sad as it makes you, you really think that you should check out this Research Facility. Cameron tries to reason with you, but you've made up your mind. There's no going back now. Still saddened by your decision, she takes you to the backdoor.\n \n “You'll probably have less to deal with if you go this way… There's a straight path from our house to the Facility if you go out on the dirt path,” She looks at you with tears in her eyes. “Please, be safe.”\n\nWith that you hug your best friend, perhaps for the final time. Then you dash out, weapon in hand, away from her so she can't see your tears as well. You try to look back at her, but she's already shut the door. You continue on, that burden weighing on your heart.\n\nA bit down the path you someone lying in the middle of the trail. They seem to be dead, but freshly so. Blood still oozes out of a stab wound to the torso. However, you see the body seeming to pulsate. You think you've seen this happen before. Moving slowly, you come up to the body. Suddenly, the pulsating stops, and out of his mouth pops a bulging green worm-like thing, although it's unlike any worm you've ever seen. You have no idea what it is, but you don't like it. You step on it, surprised to find it is strangely resilient. You keep up at it, not letting the thing move until you squished it innards out. Shaken as you are, it seems that strange things are becoming normal today, and you are not as upset as you would otherwise be. \n\n*[[Continue down the path]]
You decide it's better to just head home. You need to be with your family when crazy things like this start happening. In the short walk that it takes to get back to your home, you see many more people running around screaming. It seems total mayhem is taking over. You can even see people fighting each other, in what look like to the death matches. You've never seen your neighbors act so crazily before; usually it's the usual small town deal, with little old ladies watering gardens and young college kids coming home every other weekend to see their families. A normal small town… at the moment it looked like a battlefield. Fires were starting to sprout up in a few homes, and you pushed yourself to walk faster. You wanted to get to your family quickly. \n\n Your house comes into view, a nice two story American Colonial. The brown woodwork is something that always brings a smile to your face, even in the toughest of times. Even now, as you cross the front lawn, you smile a bit; you know that no matter what happened before, everything is going to be all right now. Your mother is standing on the porch and runs over to you as you approach.\n\n “I was so worried. Have you seen what's going on in this town? Pure insanity. Come inside before anybody comes around. Everyone has lost their mind.” With this she rushes you inside.\n\n Your mother is a small woman, but not one to let others walk all over her. She can hold her ground in any fight, as you've discovered the hard way throughout the years. As your mother shuts the door, your father walks in from the kitchen. He's not a very big man, but he seems to fill the room with his presence anyway. Whenever you're around him you feel a sense of security that only a father can bring. You're suddenly very glad to be home. \n\n As your mother and father talk about what is going on outside, you decide to try and call your best friend Cameron. You two have known each other for so many years, you're practically like siblings. Cameron may be a little wealthier than some others, but you know that didn't make her conceited in the slightest.\n\n*[[Call Cameron]]
You listen to the ring twice before Cameron picks up the line. She yells out your name as you yell out hers. Then you both pause before laughter springs up between you. \n\n “Have you heard what's going on in town?” Her voice becomes serious. “They said there was a bomb or something at the post office,” You nod along. You did see something crash there, but you don't know that it was a bomb. She continues. “And now they're saying, on the news that is, that people are going around murdering each other? What the hell? Why do people think when there's a crisis that it's totally okay to just abandon all rules or something? I'm really scared, but my dad says he has some sort of plan. He actually wanted me to call and invite you and your family to come over. I know it's a bit dangerous at the moment but…” Before she could continue, you hear something crash and break in the living room. Your father shouts, and your hear someone else yelling as well. \n\n You tell her you'll call her back, and rush to the next room. Your father is there, grappling with someone you've never seen before. The unknown man is huge, at least twice your father's size. You notice the glass sliding door to the backyard is broken inward. Your mother comes in after you, running to your father to get the man off of him. All three are fighting now. \n\n In a burst of strength, the unknown man throws off both your father and your mother. In his hands he grips a piece of glass. It cuts deep into his fingers, but he seems not to notice. Your father lunges at him again, but the man sidesteps him, plunging the glass deep into your father's belly. You cry out as you see him fall to the ground, blood soaking into the white carpet. The unknown man does not pause and goes after your mother next. The glass gone, he uses his bare hands to pummel her face. There is little she can do stop him, and in a few blows he has crushed her skull. You can't bear to look at her.\n\n The whole time you had been screaming, punching at this man. He treated you like a fly, but now that your parents are gone he turns his attention to you. Do you run, or do you stay and fight?\n\n*[[Run]]\n*[[Fight]]
“Oh, do you want to be on the outgoing team, or do you want to stay here at the facility?”\n\n*[[Outgoing team]]\n*[[Facility team]]
Good thing you picked up this fire iron earlier, because you're gonna need it. As you go around the side of the house, you hear a low growl. You keep going, and you find yourself in the older woman's backyard. Near the back is a large doghouse with the name “Moto” in all capitals. The dog himself was there, feasting angrily on something. As you turned the bend however, the dog noticed your presence and turned to you. Red chunks fall from his mouth as he barks madly at you. You look over to what he had been eating and make an audible gasp. She laid there, face gone, bitten away by the very dog she loved to torment others with. You feel bile rise to your throat at the thought of it, but you don't have time to throw anything up, because the dog is coming for you.\n\n You grip the fire iron in your hand, feeling shame for what you're about to do. As it comes at you, you swing at its face, hoping to end in in one swift motion. However, the dog is a bit too fast for that and dodges your attack. This surprises you, and you almost drop your weapon. The dog comes back for another attack, teeth snarling, and a low growl continually audible. This time you wait until it almost reaches you, then you swing for it's head. You miss that, but do manage to hit it in the side. It yelps and tries to jump backwards, but you've stuck the fire iron into it. With a heave, you manage to pull out the weapon from the dog's side. With it you accidentally pull out some of its entrails. It still looks ferocious, but the more it moves the slower it goes. Finally it falls, seemingly against its will. You hurry on your friend's house, saddened to no end but what has happened today. You don't stick around to see what happens to the dog. \n\n*[[Continue on to Cameron's House]]
You get in the plane, which coincidentally was in the giant hanger that you thought was a warehouse before. You look out the window as the plane takes off. It's just a short eight-seater, not very big at all. Cameron's dad assures you that this thing will blow over long before you'd need to refuel. You nod, and Cameron tries to smile. It's hard to when right outside in the twilight people let out a bloodcurdling scream as they see you take off. \n\nAfter all the running that you've been doing, it's not hard for you to fall asleep as the plane levels out over the clouds…\nYou sleep peacefully until something jerks you awake. It is the plane, bumping violently and slowly descending. However, it's not as slow as you would like. You try to ask Cameron's father what is happening, but he is too focused on trying not to crash. You notice that it is now the middle of the day, and when you fell asleep it was pitch black outside. Cameron is shouting at her father, and he finally says it: \n\n“We're going to crash. Don't panic.” Despite his words, panic shoots throughout your body, and you're not sure what to do. Or there is anything to do. You notice there is a small door on the side of plane. Maybe you could open it and jump out… or would you have better luck just staying on and hoping Cameron's dad knows what to do?\n\n*[[Jump]]\n*[[Stay Onboard]]
You pass no one as you make your way down the dark path. Ahead of you gleams the research facility, nestled away among the trees. Search lights cut through the darkness. There is a barbed wire fence that surrounds it that seems to be electrified. Every other time you passed this place (you admit that that number is few low) you didn't see such a thing. Probably the actions of today spurred someone to do this. As you come to the front entrance, you call out, looking around you nervously. You don't want to be caught outside, in the dark, by those murderous people. You see a door open inside, and a scholarly looking man poke his head out.\n \n “Drop your weapon,” He says this in a stern voice that is looking for no arguments. You do as you're told. He comes up the gate, presses a few buttons on the inside, and the fence seems to shut down. He rushes you inside, grabs your weapon, and reengages the fence. “Don't move.” Same tone from before. You stand stock-still, afraid to move. \n\n*[[Don't move yet]]
Of course you don't run away. Why would you? He really seems in need, and you're not that paranoid. \n\n You call out to the man, asking if there is anything you can help him with. He says nothing, but his eyes roll back to normal. He looks at you intensely. His mouth begins to move, but no words come out. You admit to yourself that you are starting to get a bad feeling. \n\n The man continues to walk towards you, arms outstretched. You take a few steps backwards, bumping into another person you had not noticed before. This one is a woman. She has the same strange scratches around her mouth, and you also notice that there seem to be little sores all over her neck. Before you have time to really think about this, she grabs for your throat.\n \n “Die.” The word escapes her mouth in a snarl, and you choke out a scream in panic. The young man is still stumbling towards the both of you, but the woman trying to wring your neck captures your attention. Her grip is deathly tight, and you can see your vision start to blur together the surroundings.\n\n Just as you feel your lungs will burst, the woman suddenly lets go of your flesh. You fall to the ground once again, swallowing grateful gulps of air into your body. Looking over at your attacker, you see she is on the ground. Over your shoulder you hear a loud thud and a snap. You turn to see the young man also lying on the ground with another woman standing over him. She is facing away from you. The man seems dead, a crack in his head leaking blood onto the pavement. The smell of blood is heavy in the air, and you assume the same thing happened to the woman that was attacking you. \n\nAs you stand, the second woman turns to you. She is much older than the other two people had been. She is smiling wildly, the gaps in her teeth very visible. It also looks as if she has not bathed in weeks, her hair in huge clumps of matted filth. Her clothes have many holes in them; you can see most of her wrinkled flesh peeking out. You're thankful that you can't see it all. \n\nShould you even try talking to her, or run away before you get attacked again?\n\n*[[Talk to Her]]\n*[[Run Away]]
However it happened, you've finally made it to Cameron's House. Her house is definitely the most expansive in the neighborhood. She even has a gate to her house. Usually it's locked up tight, but you notice that it is hanging open. You go inside; you can't wait to see her. \n\nWalking up the driveway you see people milling about in her yard. You also see something like a huge warehouse behind her house that you never noticed before. You don't have long to admire it, for as soon as the people in yard see you they begin to run towards you. You take no time to do the same, only in the opposite direction of them and towards the door. You make it to the door, and begin pounding on it, shouting for Cameron. At the last second the door opens and you are pulled inside. \nIt's Cameron, and you two hug so long you think your arms are going to fall off. But you don't care, because she is safe. Finally, someone you know is normal. She's crying a bit as she hugs you.\n\n“I was so scared; when I couldn't reach your cell I thought you were dead. I really thought you were dead. Did you see what's going on out there? People are invading our yard. They tried to get into the house even. It's so crazy.” You calm her down a bit and move to the kitchen. She fixes you a drink as you sit down next to an old black radio. The red light at the top indicates that it's on, but the only thing coming through is a soft static.\n\nCameron tells you that her dad left hours ago, when this all started, telling her he had a plan and to call you. She hasn't heard from him since then, but she was confident that he'd be back. Cameron's dad was a scary type of guy; in the military his whole life, but came from money. That's how Cameron had a house like this with a single parent. No matter how scary he was you could tell he cared about Cameron and would do anything for her. \n\n As you're sitting there, you absentmindedly play with the dial for the radio. It seems that every station is static. Cameron shrugs.\n\n“Don't bother with that. All the TV and radio stations went out a while ago…” As she says this you happen to scroll the dial, and hear something other than static. It sounded like a voice. Cameron stares at you, wide eyed, and you try to find the station once again. When you do, it seems to be in the middle of a broadcast:\n\n“…let me repeat, come to the Sacermore Research Facility. I have a response to the deadly happenings going on. Please, come. I can save you. I know what is going on, repeat, I know what is going on. I can save you. I just need some help, repeat, I just need some help…”\nThe message is apparently a recording; it goes on to repeat it self several times. You and Cameron sit in silence when you turn it off.\n \n“That can't be real,” she sounds confident, but she can't even look at you. You're not so sure. It could be worth checking out. Now Cameron does look at you, a hard light in her eyes. “Well, whatever happens, I'm not leaving my dad. If you go to check it, I can't go with you.” \n\n You're faced with a tough decision. Go check out the mysterious message, or stay with your friend and hope her father really does have a plan (and comes back to save you two)?\n\n*[[Go to Sacermore Research Facility]]\n*[[Stay with Cameron]]\n
You decided you didn't want to risk it, especially in the failing daylight. Luckily for you, though there are a few people here and there along the road, they seem to shy away from you when they notice that you have a gun, at least when they are alone. You notice that as they start to group together, they begin to chase you. Good thing Cameron's house is pretty close now. \n\n*[[Continue on to Cameron's House]]
You don't want to admit that you're not very good with a gun, so you reluctantly agree to be on the outgoing team. Monty thinks that your extra gun will really come in handy. So you set out with a few others, who are just as silent as they were inside the facility. You're also carrying a transmitter, which makes it even harder for you to aim. Little did you know there were only a few bullets inside. When you're face to face with an enemy, that empty click of the chamber is not a good sound. \n The End\n Normal Death\n
a { color: red !important }
You stay onboard the plane, confident that Cameron's father can land the plane better than you can land yourself. You look out the window to see mostly water, which worries you of course.\n“Don't worry, there's an island just ahead. It's gonna be a rough landing, but we can just make it.” You look out ahead of your course, and sure enough there is a small island. It looks like it has a land path already on it. As you approach, the plane goes faster and faster towards the ground. \n\nYou brace yourself as the bottom of the plane comes into contact with the ground. You get thrown around quite a bit, but after a while the plane finally comes to a stop. You've survived, and so have Cameron and her father, even though they are both bruised. Apparently this island you've landed on is a military base. There is enough gunpowder here to last you all quite sometimes. Hopefully there's enough food as well…\n\nThe End\nIsland Ending
You run until you can't breathe anymore. You get as far away from the house as you can before you must force yourself to stop and take a breath. Off in the distance you hear a loud alarm going off, one that seems no one will answer. All around there are people milling about, but they do not look normal. Most of them have a weapon of some sort and their eyes never fix on one place for too long. However, because you had been running, you didn't notice their tendency to fixate on you. Now you do, and after only a moments rest you force yourself to move again. These people could be the murderers Cameron was talking about. At least you have something to protect yourself with.\n\n*[[Keep Running]]
You jump, which isn't a terribly smart idea considering you don't even have a parachute. This thought only comes to mind after you've jumped of course. \n The End\n Plane Death\n
He seems like he is checking your body for something, but for what you're not really sure. After a time he seems content and moves away from you. Now he wears a smile on his face. \n\n“Sorry about that. I know it was a bit jarring. My name is Monty. You heard my message?” You nod, also giving your name to him. He nods and smiles. “I'm glad people are hearing it. I'm sure you want to know what's going on, right?” Grimly, you agree. As much as it horrifies you, you need to know what's been happening to everyone. He leads you inside the facility as he explains.\n\n“You may have noticed a few things so far. If not, that's alright. I'll explain them now. The people that have been attacking you are already dead…” You look at him as if he has another head. “Yes, that right, already dead. Have you heard about the explosion in town? That wasn't a bomb or a meteor; that was a ship. I've known for a while but… these things made their way to earth to take it over. I overheard a broadcast by them one night. I believe I was the only one in the world who did. That's why no one believed me. I tried putting my message out on the radio, but I'm sad to say only crazy people believed me. I would think it was crazy if I didn't hear it myself.” You don't want to believe him, but given all the strange things you've seen today you decide to let him finish at least.\n\n“So these things, they go from planet to planet, taking over the life forms of that world. They do this by… ahh… burrowing down the throats of living creatures and attaching strange feelers to their nerves. They only do this when the host is still alive. They have a sharp row of teeth that leave marks on the mouth. You probably noticed some people with these markings. That's a good way to tell. These… parasites as I've been calling them are sentient, and can use all of our body's motor skills once they get assimilated. So noticing those markings are a good way to tell if someone was already killed. That and the sores on the body. They don't agree with us it seems, and this causes pus pouring sores to sprout up everywhere.”\n\nYou can't tell whether he's serious or just a really good jokester, but his expression says that he's all business. He leads you farther in to the facility.\n\n*[[Follow Monty]]\n
You don't like admitting that you don't really know how to use a gun, but you end up saying so. You don't want to be the one that messes this whole thing up. Monty thanks you for you honesty, and asks if they outgoing team can use your gun. You gladly hand it over, happy that someone else can get some use of out it. \n\nIt is a tense few hours as you wait for word from the other team to return. In the meantime Monty kills some of the infected that come too close, and you watch the horizon. Before you realize it, the sun comes up. And you see a few of the people you sent out coming back. You shout for joy. The same number is coming back that left. They even said that you're gun was essential to the success. You suppose you shouldn't feel too proud about something you just picked up by random chance, but you can't help it.\n\nMonty flips the switch to send out the frequency, and a collective screech fills the air. You drink it in, because you know you've won. \n The End\n Facility Ending \n
You decide you're better sticking with someone who knows what she's doing. If you went off by yourself you'd probably get killed. And you are desperate to know what is going on. \n\n “Well,” she spits on the ground, “Are you coming with me?” Disgusted as you are, you nod yes. Her face lights up again, and she spins with delight. “Just wonderful. I love company. Name's Mildred.” A man comes up behind Mildred, and she slashes away at his face. He stands there, no worse for wear-other than the fact he no longer has a nose. As fluids drip down his face, he still goes after the older woman. She screams in amusement, and buries the metal in his skull. Her screams attract the attention of the others who had wandered into the area. She grabs your hand as she yanks the hatchet out of the body. You both start running towards a wooded copse near the edge of the ruined buildings. \n\n Mildred explains to you that the people that were attacking you were not actually living. Not anymore. They used to be alive, until a parasite from the crashed ship (that rock wasn't actually a rock after all) invaded them. And by invade, Mildred said with a smile, she meant they burrow down your throat while you are still alive and attach themselves to your nerves. When the host dies, they slither up out of the body to search for a new one. They do this until most of the planet's natural life dies out, and they then take over. The only ways you can tell someone has a parasite is if they have strange sores on their bodies, or if they're trying to kill you.\n\n “So you see, aliens have come to kill us all. The only reason I know is because I listen to radio shows. The radio is a wonderful object. You learn all kinds of things.” You don't say anything. This woman is insane. You should have just gone to Cameron's house when you had the chance. But as you look over your shoulder, you see that is no longer an option; there is a small crowd behind you now. They don't look very happy. Mildred picks up her pace, dragging you along with her. \n\n “You see there's a scientist out there. He's the one with the radio show. He's got a plan too. He knows. We just have to wait it out. I've been waiting for so long.” Abruptly, she stops in her tracks. You almost tumble over her. Brushing away what looked like a pile of leaves on the ground, she unveils a doorway in the ground. It opens with a creak, and she jumps inside. You have just enough time to look back at the crowd, noticing they all have scratches around their mouths. \n\n*[[Jump In]]
by Allyssa Yanniello\nFor a horror writing course at Seton Hill University.